Monday, October 8, 2012

SWF


First time I've ever lived alone, ever. I'm not only a lioness, but a rare bird. I feel rare. I know I am not. So, how do you do it? Who brings you the cold remedies? Actually I've always wondered, what do people do that live alone when they get sick? I'm not even that sick to know I've been spoiled.

When I was a kid, it almost felt like a holiday at my house when I was sick. I don't know how mom did it. I'm youngest of 5 with two working parents, dad worked days, NYC Parks & Rec Dept, mom midnight to eight at Citicorp. Each put in 25 years, both started when I was 3 months old.

Mom always aired out the room, crisp sheets (line dried), wash cloth on the forehead, mercury thermometer, bucket if needed, bed tray for meals. 

The summer I was 7, I was very sick. Thought it was a stomach virus but it was appendicitis. That was when the party began. Mom decorated the children's ward at Jacobi Hospital for the 4th of July stay. She didn't know we'd get in trouble for playing with the Spin Sparklers when the lights went out!
vintage sparking spinner friction toys

The worst thing about feeling out of sorts is the massive check off list I don't have energy to tackle and the ensuing brain spinning like those dam sparklers when I've got no energy but to flop.

And no one to take care of me*. Rich was good at that. Better in fact than taking care of himself. I remember when he got the diagnosis and then the prognosis, I thought, he's better at taking care of me than I am of him. I had two major illnesses since our marriage, I know what I say.

It's only a cold.

*this SWF is not bitcin', just statin'.

No comments:

Post a Comment