I recalled Rich's bicycle 'tattoo', when I was changing the bandaid on my arm...
We were riding the bay trail to Pt Richmond for coffee. Sometime before, I must have put the cleats on his bicycle shoes, to 'try them out' and I never took them off. Every thing was going dandy and he realized he was clipped in to the pedals. I told him I'd remove them but he refused. I think you have had to had this experience to really appreciate how fast your ride can change if you either forget to unclip, OR don't have enough time to. I don't recommend clips to casual riders. And after I tell you what happened, you will agree.
You also must know me. I am an observer and like to share those observances. Oh yeah, like I'm doing NOW!
Everything was rolling along nicely. I gave RIch 'warings' as we were coming to stops to remind him to unclip. He was annoyed, of course. So I stopped reminding him, he's a grown up after all.
I figured he can see the big intersection with traffic signals just up ahead. Guess he forgot he was clipped in. BANG! Down he goes. It was very dramatic. That's when he got the scrape on his calf from the chain ring. Blood running down his leg. We cleaned up and I was ready to turn around, but not RIch. We continued to the coffee house. It was a pretty day and on the way back I was looking at the clouds and blue sky, probably about noon. I was trying to ignore RIch since usually a fall makes you more cautious.
I asked if he thought it might be a good sunset to take pictures? Evidently I distracted him, because he was on the ground again. No blood this time. For disclosure, since I've been 'telling' on RIch, I have to say I lost it. He's on his back in the street looking at the sky and he says, 'I'm not sure'. He cracked me up, I got so hysterical laughing I peed. That's payback in my book.
So this is how you get a tattoo. Clean the wound but don't cover it with gauze to keep the skin from scarring. Rich was PROUD of his chainring tattoo. I don't think we took a picture. Wish I had! I know someone that paid to get one on his calf and it didn't look as good!
************
You are welcome to join my 1st Sunday ride if you dare!
| Richard, second from right. Our Jonathan, far left. 3/2010 |
THIS SUNDAY, is 1st Sunday!
October 7th, 9 a.m. meet at Oakport and 66th.
(Click on 'ROUTE' link for starting point)
Rich did do SOME riding with the 1st Sunday group a while back before I made him and others mad, leading them on a road that was also uphill. Sigh. I had a lot to learn as a teacher, mostly by the seat of my bicycle shorts. Thus the bay tail rides were born.
Route:
Martin Luther King Jr. Shoreline
A fun casual ride, an easy out and back.
RIch and I walked here when he was not feeling well and he loved the place.
We can continue the ride thru Bay Farm and Alameda, or past the airport to San Leandro, for those looking to tootle about some more. If there is a PEETS we can top off the ride.
Keep the rubber side down.
Alice
No comments:
Post a Comment