Friday, October 12, 2012

Profound

A 5 year old receives a Halloween card in the mail and asks if it's from mom. Unfortunately, no. If there is a heaven they could use a postal system.

For that moment I appreciated how that youngster felt. My boys asked if we talk to grandpa will he answer? Three little boys trying to grasp the unthinkable. Why as an adult is it that different? I do not think it is. What do children know except the lack of touch and sound from someone they never thought of being anywhere but in their lives? How does dust, or a gravesite, compare?

Another, or someone else, cannot compare. That is what makes us unique. We don't really believe we are that unique. Just try to 'replace' someone you love. It's the same with each of us.

I am so grateful to have some very precious little people in my life (and bigger people, too). The energy is overwhelming, untethered, who knows where they will go. I want to reclaim that. I want a card from Rich, with a return address on it.

The upcoming end of month celebration of All Hallows Eve, and the next day, All Saints Day is an attempt to comprehend death, distinguishing us from other mammals (as far as I know). I guess in trying to grasp the ungraspable we do what what we need to do to continue on.

I have taken on the business side of moving one foot in front of the other. Stuff that needs to be done. The stuff I know how to do. I also signed up for a Bereavement Group, than got sick and didn't go this week. The counselor called to check in. I told him I felt like I wanted to do something to help bear one another's grief. He said something I never considered, "You want to do what you would like someone to do for you."

When I didn't recognize what I needed, Rich acknowledged and encouraged my uniqueness. That is what is so amazing. That is what a good friend, a mentor, a coach, a sibling, a grandparent, a grown son or daughter does. All differently and uniquely.

We send a card.

1 comment:

  1. glad you've had the guys around!
    & love the video! :)

    ReplyDelete