Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Coffee

Black Gold

I have been sick with a chest cold and wondering if it would be a good week to 'cut back' on the cuppa joe. As I was making an afternoon cup I recalled the early days in Oakland when there were no coffee houses. 1981 Rich and I would get a sitter and go on a date and end up at Caffe Strada on Collage at Bancroft. Sometimes we'd go there with the kids. Sometimes Rich went there to do his design sketches into the night. If there was a cafe closer to home we didn't find it and no Google Maps to search either.

Rich was the coffee drinker then. He even loved my mother's coffee, from a 10 cup percolator that she'd plug in to reheat, with the grounds still in the pot. I've since found Panama Red at Kaiser that actually sells 'MUD'!

I didn't like coffee in the early days. I'd get a cafe au lait, mostly milk with a shot of brewed coffee. We'd sit outside and people watch, or draw, visit. We'd been there over the years but the coffee culture eventually made it to our neck of the woods and we tried lots of local cafes. It wasn't till about 10 years ago that I drank more coffee than milk. Now there is no milk in my coffee.

And in Maxwell Park we have coffee delivery to our door on Friday mornings, Get Goes Mobile Cafe, is a real community builder. Like I need encouragement.

No comments:

Post a Comment