Friday, October 31, 2014

Newlyweds

October 31, 1977
Wednesday morning, Adrian and Naomi asked, "Are you dressing up for Halloween?". I hated to disappoint them but I said no, then told them when I was Big Bird, and Richie a Chinaman, our first Halloween, 1977 in S.F.

We were immigrants, we were doing manual labor to make a few bucks between searching for work as freelance production artists(…do you know what that is?). We cleaned out a whole backyard of overgrowth and the 'clients' invited us to their upcoming Halloween Party.

I think it was Patty and Jim Walmann that had these costumes. Could have been a number of new friends from St. John of God, the Newman Center for UCSF, a few blocks from our 1st apartment on 7th and Irving in the Inner Sunset neighborhood of SF.

We were just kids and this new church family adopted us in immediately. In fact we chose the neighborhood of the many we could have settled in because we saw this awesome little church on the corner of 5th and Irving. SJOG would soon become a Sanctuary Church for Central American Refugees.

SJOG had strong roots in welcoming newcomers, and help getting them settled.




No comments:

Post a Comment