Monday, April 8, 2013

Till death

do we part

Who thinks about what those words really mean when you are young, in love and invincible?

"One of the most pathetic things about us human beings is our touching belief that there are times when the truth is not good enough for us: that it can and must be improved upon. We have to be utterly broken before we  can realize that it is impossible to better the truth. It is the truth that we deny which so tenderly and forgivingly picks up the fragments and puts them together again."
Laurens Ann der Post

As Martha Hickman, the author of 'Healing After Loss', writes: 'We do our best, trying to change what happened. We play our game of what if...'
I did the 'what if' for a day or so and even though I knew what was going on I did it anyway. Not about Richard's fatal diagnosis, but about the times in our lives when being married was the hardest. Knowing what I know about stomach cancer, knowing so many stomach cancer warriors through my support group, I know I could not have prevented his horrible prognosis by loving him more. Yet loving is what we all want and need and seems we can never get just the right amount to satisfy us. 

Till death do we part.
Who thinks about how final those words are?

No comments:

Post a Comment