April 15
My name is Alice Ross Leon, but not the way I have used it since June 25th, 1977. Ross is my middle name. I did not want to drop my 'maiden' name, and I did not want a hyphenated last name.
I've spent time wondering about the new me, I am not married, I have two names that belong to me, my dad's and my husband's. I carry them.
Rich and I did our taxes together all our married life. Not fun but we teamed. I remember one year, it had to be an April filing and not the usual extension, we drove to the Main Post Office after hours with a whole bunch of other filers and there was a block party. The employees where out on the street with the big white bins and smiling and waving, encouraging us that we beat the deadline.
Today taught me that grief and flashbacks can hit on April 15th, no special holiday or anniversary needed. I have done alone what took two us us.
2013 is the first year I filed as the primary, and in this case solo, in my whole life.
My name is Alice, though for now I like my IRS name, Ross Leon. Three first names, the last two joined by the internal revenue service, linked for strength. At least for now.
Signed,
RedTailDog
also confusing, but hey.

No comments:
Post a Comment