Thursday, July 4, 2013

Fireworks

On the 4th

Changed a flat back tire last night. The tire was flat again this morning. Got my new and used tubes mixed up and thought 'bathing' them would separate the unpunctured from the holey ones.  My dear friend Pat says, 'show up'. Non riding friends are amazed that I ride. It's freedom. Today was a zombie ride. Pat says, 'Let's do the coffee ride'. 

Even though there was a parade in Alameda, fireworks last night at the Coliseum, all it did for me was tell time. Triggers kept rolling from my memory as the miles did. German Stadium along the Long Island Sound, East River confluence. Egg toss, water balloon, tug o war, lots of kids, cousins, food and swimming. Dad saw me swimming towards the raft but getting further away, down current. He knew I was in trouble before I did. I could see him running to the dock stripping to his trunks, wondering why he looked frantic. I wasn't even a teen yet, I was sure I could swim out to the raft. The lifeguard saw dad and jumped in to get me.

The 4th was the real kick off to summer at our house in the Bronx. Hot summers, no air-conditioning and a nice little back yard big enough to celebrate the 4th, then six birthdays in succession from mine, mid July, my brother, a week later, my sisters and my mom, mid to end of Aug. Youngest to oldest. Dad's was 11/17. I loved the numbers of his birthdate. Maybe next 4th I will unfurl his flag from the case.

End of month 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment