The last Rx shot made no difference to her pain nor mobility
I'd hoped it would provide some relief
It is worse to see her move than sleep unaware, worse even than the
constant clean up that has defined our relationship for too long
From the beginning almost 13 years ago when rescued
They said she was two years old No idea she wasn't house broken
Even though I trained her she had lifetime issues
I promise, done with dogs No relief to say that
Summer guided me the days and weeks after Rich died
'Lay down', she would quietly command by walking into my bedroom
laying down on the floor on Rich's side of the bed
I told Summer, today, that she did her job well as a companion
her work is done It's not of course And she drove me crazy
I think we have stuff in common, and not just the long legs
Why do I get to choose when to euthanize a dog? It's humane
Maybe. If so, where is the relief for those that she impacted,
those having to don protective wear to clean up
What a hiker she was If only she could get to the trailhead without
soiling the car Oh GAWD She loved kids, but could not be trusted
As her arthritis increased she was more anxious and defensive
Summer was camera shy and scared to death of fireworks
Fooled her with a camera phone. Deaf, she doesn't notice helicopters
She didn't fetch, or play in water, but like to chase dogs that did
Summer startled before she pranced Any noise or movement
scared her into my path nearly throwing me over her She was scared
of everything Joe Davis was instrumental socializing her
Misbehaved around other dogs, like to chase squirrels and cats
Lived with a cat Scared of cats if they didn't dash off
We did our best together but it was not easy or simple
It should be a relief to say goodbye It is not
Endings give pause to beginnings
| Summer with best friend, Lady. Point Isabel, July 2006 |
No comments:
Post a Comment