Friday, December 16, 2011

Bicycle commute

I can't even begin to tell you how anxious I am preparing to become a 'bicycle commuter', second only to preparing to race. Such a frickin' novice in so many ways.


Can I ride half my speed and get downtown without breaking much of a sweat? I've decided to ride my fixie because I can wear my MTB shoes and keep them on during the meeting. Wearing jeans over riding shorts so I don't look to stand outish with tights on. Good luck to that. It's a casual group at least.


If I sweat too much next time I'll need a bag to carry a change. It's a lunchtime meeting so I don't need lights, it's sunny so I don't need fenders.


It's only 5.4 miles for goodness sakes.

Success report to follow =)


The COOL down REPORT~

The ride to AIA is more or less downhill and straightforward, till I got to the big construction project at the lake, maneuvering on a shared path with pedestrians. The ride was uneventful. I shouldn't say uneventful exactly. It was a totally beautiful day for a maiden voyage. Seas were calm, views sparkling in every direction and to top it off a young woman in the canyons of downtown, singing while riding her Townie! Her voice was like an angel, heavenly notes floating above the sounds of buses, trucks and cars. Entering the hallowed ground of Broadway and 14th, I took a slow detour through the ghost of Occupy Oakland's tent city before I crossed the street to The American Institute of Architects East Bay office, dry, not panting, in one piece, 30 minutes, to attend a presentation about Economic Opportunities of Climate Change. I can tell you I not only reduced my carbon foot print but kept close to $15 in parking in my pocket too. Economic opportunity, and good for the planet & me too!


The way back is fine till I get pretty close to Maxwell Park. No way to avoid the hills, or perspiring. I'm good.

4 comments:

  1. That's about the length of my commute too. But for days when the weather is really bad, I take my bike on the train with me. I have a folding bike so I can get home with it during evening rush hour - I don't have to wait for off-peak hours. It's really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Chris, nice web link. The true test is inclement weather and darkness. We shall see! I have fenders and wet weather riding gear, but I'd need some good lights to shine when the wipers go on!

    I appreciate any and all bicycle commuting pointers and stories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Locks may be important, too. Stanley had elements of his bike stolen while it was parked at the Oakland Cathedral ! 8-(

    ReplyDelete
  4. David, fortunately my bike entered the building with me. That may determine where I ride till I get a beater bike and locks.

    ReplyDelete